Updated March 26, 2020
PayBright (“PayBright”, “we”, “us” or “our”) takes steps to ensure it meets privacy principles and requirements with respect to Personal Information under applicable Canadian privacy legislation. The purpose of this statement is to inform our customers and other individuals we deal with (“you” and “your”) how we collect, use, disclose, and protect your Personal Information. “Personal Information” is information that is identifiable as pertaining to an individual, as more particularly described under applicable privacy legislation. This policy applies to our collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information in Canada.
Our Principles of Privacy Protection
Principle 1: Establishing Accountability
PayBright is responsible for maintaining and protecting the customer information under its control.
Principle 2: Identifying the Purpose of Collecting Information
We will identify the purposes for which customer information is collected before or at the time the information is collected.
Principle 3: Obtaining Consent
We will require the knowledge and consent of the customer for the collection, use or disclosure of customer information except where required or permitted by law.
Principle 4: Limiting Collection of Personal Information
Customer information collected must be limited to those details necessary for the purposes identified by PayBright. Information must be collected by fair and lawful means.
Principle 5: Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
We may only use or disclose customer information for the purpose for which it was collected unless the customer has otherwise consented, or when it is required or permitted by law. We will retain customer information for the duration of our relationship with the customer, plus a reasonable period of time as required or permitted by law.
Principle 6: Keeping Information Accurate
We will maintain customer information in as accurate, complete and up-to-date form as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is to be used.
Principle 7: Protecting Customer Information
Customer information must be protected by security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
Principle 8: Maintaining Openness of Policies and Practices
PayBright will make information available to customers concerning the policies and practices that apply to the management of their information.
Principle 9: Providing Customer Access to Personal Information
Upon request, a customer shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of their information, and shall be given access to it, except when legally restricted. Customers may verify the accuracy and completeness of their information, and may request that it be amended, if appropriate.
Principle 10: Handling Customer Complaints and Questions
Customers may direct any questions or enquiries with respect to the privacy principles outlined above or about our practices by contacting our Privacy Officer.
Personal Information We Collect
We, and our agents and representatives, collect certain types of Personal Information such as:
- Contact information, such as name, title, address, telephone number, facsimile, or e-mail address;
- Program and service information regarding your financing and repayment programs;
- Information that may be used in the course of credit adjudication, including self-reported income levels, housing status, employment status, credit bureau files, bank account transaction history, and social insurance numbers;
- Copies of personal identification cards, such as driver’s licenses; and
- Billing information, including banking information collected for pre-authorized payment purposes, credit card number(s) or other payment-method details, and your billing and payment status and history.
- Personal Information may be collected through our online application, tablet or mobile applications, over the telephone, or by other means.
- We collect, use and disclose your Personal Information with your consent, except as permitted or required by law. Consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information may be given by you in various ways. Consent can be express (for example, orally, electronically, or on a form you may sign describing the intended uses and disclosures of Personal Information), or implied (for example, when you provide information necessary for a service you have requested, or in some circumstances where notice has been provided to you about our intentions with respect to your Personal Information and you have not withdrawn your consent for an identified purpose, such as by using an “opt-out” option). Consent may be given by your authorized representative (such as a legal guardian or a person having a power of attorney).
- We may be required or permitted under statute or regulation to collect, use, or disclose Personal Information without your consent, for example, to comply with a court order, to comply with local, provincial, or federal regulations or a legally permitted inquiry by a government agency, or to collect a debt owed to us.
- Note: If you withdraw your consent to certain uses of your Personal Information, we may no longer be able to provide certain products or services to you.
Use of Your Personal Information
We generally use your Personal Information to:
- Evaluate your application and determine your initial and ongoing eligibility for our financial products and services;
- Confirm your identity;
- Process billing and invoices, and manage, administer, and collect your payments for products or services;
- Maintain business records for reasonable periods and generally manage and administer our business;
- Maintain contact with you as permitted by law;
- Conduct marketing activities;
- Meet legal, regulatory, security, and processing requirements, or otherwise as permitted or required by law; and
- Report account information, such as credit limit, balances and payment information, to credit bureaus.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Merchants: In the course of completing or partially completing a loan application with us and/or obtaining financial services from us, some of your Personal Information will be disclosed to the merchant(s) from whom you are applying to purchase services or products in connection with your application. This information may include, without limitation, your contact information and your available credit with us, even if you do not transact. The merchant may use this information to contact you.
Service Providers: We may transfer Personal Information to outside agents or service providers (for example, credit bureaus, billing service providers, collection agents, marketing agencies, or other lenders), in which case we will use contractual or other reasonable means to ensure that your Personal Information is protected and not used or disclosed for any purposes other than as directed by us. We may also from time to time cooperate with suppliers, service providers, and partners for the purposes of providing you with additional services or products or for advising us on matters such as market research and data processing. Such parties will be given only the information required necessary to perform their services and are required to adhere to our privacy standards. In the event we transfer your Personal Information to another lender, regardless of whether the lender extends you an offer of financial services or not, and whether you accept such an offer or not, the lender may use your Personal Information to conduct its own marketing activities, including by emailing you. You may opt out of receiving these communications after you receive one by responding directly to the lender.
Financing Sources/Sale of Business: Your Personal Information may be used by us and disclosed to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purpose of permitting such parties to determine whether to proceed or continue with such transaction, to fulfill reporting, inspection, or audit requirements or obligations to such parties. In the event that all or part of our business or assets to which your Personal Information relates is sold, assigned, or otherwise disposed of, your Personal Information will be used and disclosed by such parties for substantially the same purposes as described in this policy.
Legal/Compliance: We may otherwise disclose Personal Information as necessary to meet legal, regulatory, insurance, audit, and security requirements, or as permitted or required by law.
Security and Storage
Access to your information is provided to our employees and other parties only on a need-to-know basis. We protect your Personal Information using physical, electronic, or procedural security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information in our custody or control, which may include safeguards to protect against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification. Authorized employees and agents of PayBright who require access to your Personal Information in order to fulfill their job requirements will have access to your Personal Information.
Your information may be stored by us and other parties in electronic or physical files. Electronic files are stored on servers which may be located outside of Canada, including in the United States. In the event that such information is located outside of Canada, foreign governments, courts of law enforcement or regulatory agencies may be able to obtain disclosure of this information.
Our Website and the Internet
Visiting our website: We operate the website www.paybright.com which provides information about your accounts, and allows you to request further information, to request customer support, or to make other inquiries. Personal Information provided by you online is used to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests. Personal Information that you voluntarily provide in response to our online questionnaires and surveys is used to help us learn more about your interests and preferences, and may be used to send you periodic information about our products and services (if you have chosen that option). Our internet servers may passively and automatically collect certain information about website visitors’ traffic patterns, which may be linked to their Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (which are unique Internet “addresses” assigned to all Internet users by their Internet Service Providers). Server logs may record statistical information, such as visitors’ IP addresses, type of operating systems, time and duration of visit, and pages requested, and identify categories of visitors by items such as domains and browser types. These statistics are only collected and used on an aggregate basis.
Third-Party Links: Our website may contain links to other websites that are provided as a convenience only, and which may have different privacy policies and practices than PayBright and, accordingly, we have no responsibility for such third-party websites, and individuals are advised to review the privacy policies of any third-party websites they visit.
Text Message Communications
We may contact you by SMS text using the telephone number information you have provided to us to verify your identity, provide you with links to apply for a loan, or notify you of payment transactions. Any information you provide by text will be handled by us in accordance with the terms of this Privacy Statement. Please see our Terms & Conditions for more information about text messages.
Your telephone conversations with our authorized employees and representatives may be monitored and/or recorded for quality control, internal training and recordkeeping purposes. We and our affiliates and third parties with whom we share your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement may contact you by telephone using the telephone number information you have provided to us.
Access, Correction, and Contacting Us
We may establish and maintain a file of your Personal Information for the purposes described above, and which will be accessible at our Corporate Office in Toronto, Ontario. If you wish to request access or correction of your Personal Information in our custody or control, or if you wish to make inquiries or complaints or have other concerns about our Personal Information practices, you may contact us via our request form . Your right to access or correct your Personal Information is subject to applicable legal restrictions.